TASMANIA (page 4)

Beaumaris Zoo [Hobart] - Sandy Bay [1895-1921], Queen's Domain [1922-1937] (continued):
Beaumaris Zoo (SB) - 1911
A photo taken in 1911 at the Beaumaris Zoo (Sandy Bay) showing two thylacines with Mrs. Roberts 
peering through the enclosure fence.
    In December 1986, Dr. Eric Guiler published his research into the thylacines displayed at the Beaumaris Zoo in the "Papers and Proceedings of the Tasmanian Historical Research Association".  Guiler's paper, entitled "The Beaumaris Zoo in Hobart" is regarded as the definitive guide to the history of the zoo, despite the fact that it is now known to contain numerous inaccuracies.  Guiler gives a total of 27 thylacines purchased by the Beaumaris Zoo (at both its locations) between 1910 and 1935.  The true figure, however, for thylacines displayed at both of the zoo's sites is now known to have been significantly higher, with an upper estimate of around 45 animals.
Thylacines displayed at the Beaumaris Zoo (Sandy Bay) (1908 - 1921)
Source: Thylacine Museum
N Date of arrival A/J/P Sex Captured by Dealer Capture locality Sold / exchanged Date of departure Date of death Ref FN
1 6/10/1908 A F Unknown captor N/A Dee London 21/1/1909 London 5/6/1914 1
2 (Oct) 1908 A M Unknown captor City Park Zoo Unknown locality London 21/1/1909 Died in transit 2
3 3/7/1909 A F (m) George Wainright N/A Woolnorth (28/5/1909) N/A N/A Mar 1913 3 1
4 3/7/1909 P F (s) George Wainright N/A Woolnorth (btw 29/5/1909 - 2/6/1909) London 30/9/1910 Dead on arrival
5 3/7/1909 P M (s) George Wainright N/A Woolnorth (3/6/1909) London 1/3/1910 London 20/11/1914
6 3/7/1909 P M (s) George Wainright N/A Woolnorth (3/6/1909) London 28/9/1911 Bronx Zoo (New York) 20/11/1912 2
7 18/6/1910 A M A. Blackwood N/A Fingal
(in May)
London 30/9/1910 London 25/12/1914 4
- 6/6/1911 A F Neil Bryant N/A Spring Bay Dead on arrival N/A N/A 5
8 12/8/1911 A M Bill Power N/A Tyenna N/A N/A  09/03/1915 6
9 7/5/1912 P M
E. J. Sidebottom N/A Near Launceston N/A N/A Died shortly after arrival
7 3
10 7/5/1912 P F
E. J. Sidebottom N/A Near Launceston N/A N/A Died shortly after arrival 10/05/1912 3
11 23/10/1915 A F Mr. Bourke  James Harrison Near Wynyard Ellis Joseph (dealer) to Bronx Zoo 14/4/1917 Bronx Zoo (New York) 13/9/1919 8a / 8b 4
12 9/6/1916 J F Messrs. Foy James Harrison Arthur River (in May) N/A N/A Between 24/4/1919 & 23/3/1921 9
13 17/6/1916 P M William "Paddy" O' May  N/A Tyenna Taronga Zoo (Sydney) 12/10/1918 Taronga Zoo (Sydney) 14/11/1923 10
14 13/6/1917 A M Unknown captor James Harrison Elliott
(in March)
Transferred to Domain 27/11/1921 15/10/1922 11
15 30/6/1917 A M Almer & Ted Saward James Harrison West Montagu - 2/7/1917 Returned to Harrison with inflamed foot 12
16 1/11/1918 A F Unknown captor City Park Zoo Unknown locality N/A N/A Mar 1919 13
A/J/P Adult / Juvenile / Pup
Family group [(m) = mother / (s) = sibling(s)]
Short dates are formatted Day/Month/Year.
References: 1. Mercury 7/10/1908; 2. Mercury 12/1/1909; 3. Examiner 7/7/1909; 4. Examiner 21/6/1910; 5. Roberts' diary 6/6/1911; 6. Mercury 14/8/1911 p. 4; 7. Roberts's diary & Guiler 1986 p. 124; 8a. Roberts's diary; 8b. Daily Telegraph 25/10/1915 p. 4; 9. Archives Office of Tasmania; 10. Guiler (1986); 11. Examiner 6/3/1917 p. 3; 12. North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times 7/6/1917 p. 4 & Circular Head History Journal Vol. 3 (2) pp. 24-25; 13. Paddle 2012 p. 87.
Footnotes: 1. Skeleton was preserved by Mrs. Roberts and later borrowed and never returned by Professor Flynn; 2. Sold to Bronx Zoo (26/1/1912); 3. Skeletons were preserved by Mrs. Roberts and later borrowed and never returned by Professor Flynn; 4. Arrived at Bronx Zoo (14/7/1917).
(Research on this listing is ongoing - further information will be added as it becomes available, and errors corrected as soon as they have been identified.)

    In an article entitled "Experiences with the  Tasmanian Tiger", published in the January 1999 edition of the Circular Head History Journal (Vol 3 (2), pp. 24-25), Almer Saward recalls his capture of a thylacine for the Beaumaris Zoo (SB):

    "During the winter of [1917], my brother Bill and I had snares set for wallaby in the bush near our parents home at West Montagu.  Bill was then at school, a lad of 11 years of age.  I was 14.  I had left school before the age of 13.  Fortunately, on a particular Saturday morning, we decided to change runs and so I was the one destined to check the lasso type snares set in bush behind my sister Verina North's home.  As I approached one snare I suddenly froze to the spot and my hair literally stood on end, for to my utter amazement, I was face to face with a three quarters grown Tasmanian tiger.  It was caught in a snare by its front foot.  At the sight of me the tiger fought frantically to free itself.  For me, this was a prize catch and there was no way I was going to let it get away.  Making quick decisions, I dashed with lightening speed back to the previous snare.  Taking that snare, I hastened back, grabbed the tiger by its stiff kangaroo-type tail, and holding him thus, I managed to slip a noose round his neck.  Once I had him firmly tied up by the neck, I proceeded to tie his mouth shut.  Luckily he did not attempt to bite at me as he had a gaping mouth opening to some 120 degrees.  With a piece of rope I had with me I tied his front legs together with one end of the rope, and with the other end I tied his back legs together.  Then I slung the loop of the rope across both my shoulders and proceeded to carry him home on my back.  On the way I called at my sister Verina's home to show the family there.  When I arrived at our place, I dumped him on the back doorstep and called to father, who was eating his breakfast, to come and see.  Father and I took him down to the barn where we put a dog collar around his neck and tied him up with a trace chain to a beam of the shed.  We had him there for over a week and fed him on bits of wallaby and water.  We contacted Jimmy Harrison of Wynyard, who ran a bit of a zoo and he agreed to pay me £10 if we could get him up to him.  When the cheque eventually arrived, it even had threepence exchange added to it.  Father built a crate and made a muzzle for the tiger.  The we crated him up and took him to Smithton in a two seater jinker to catch the mail car.  But when we got there we found the crate too large to fit on the running board of the car.  We had to transfer him to another box while we made the crate narrower, and so it was the next day before we got him away.  Of course, my adventure with the Tasmanian tiger was the talk of the whole district.  The local school teacher wanted us to take it to school to display to the pupils, but we didn't do that.  Jimmy Harrison eventually sent the tiger to the Hobart Zoo.  It was possibly the last one held there.  I remember seeing a full-grown tiger there a few years later".

    After Mary Roberts's death on the 27th November 1921, the zoo was taken over by the Hobart City Council and relocated to its new home on the Queen's Domain opposite Government House in 1923.

Zoo for Tasmania - Private Collection Given
Beaumaris Zoo - Official Opening Ceremony
Transfer of the Beaumaris Zoo to the Hobart City Council.  Source: The West Australian newspaper, 18th January 1922, p. 7.
Announcement of the official opening of Beaumaris Zoo at the Domain. Source: Examiner, 3rd February 1923, p. 12.
back to: Tasmania (page 3) return to the subsection's introduction forward to: Tasmania (page 5)

Search the Thylacine Museum
Site Map
Website copyright © C. Campbell's NATURAL WORLDS.
Photographs and other illustrations (where indicated) are © C. Campbell's NATURAL WORLDS.
Other photos and images are © their respective owners.