(page 7)

    The Launceston Examiner of the 5th March 1888 (p. 1) carried the government notice shown at right:

    In the Mercury newspaper of the 16th April 1888 (p. 3), under the heading "Country News" the following circular regarding tiger bounty submissions was noted:

    "Circulars re: rewards for destruction of native tigers from Minister of Lands read.  It was decided to represent to the Minister of Lands that the heads only should be produced, and this practice made uniform in all municipalities, to prevent the head being produced in one and the skin in another municipality, and the reward thus paid twice over".

    Bounty claims were regularly acknowledged in the local press:

Re Destruction of Native Tigers - Launceston Examiner, 1888
    "The head of a full grown native tiger, captured at Connorville by John Smith, was submitted to the Warden, and the "capitation" or decapitation grant of £1, payable by the Government, ordered to be applied for".
Launceston Examiner, 13th March 1890 (p. 3).

    "Last week two miners at the Twilight succeeded in killing a fine native tiger.  It was caught in a snare, but on the approach of Messrs. George Ward and J. Smith it broke away, but was soon overhauled by a kangaroo dog.  A grand tussle ensued, but the tiger was handicapped by receiving the contents of four discharges from a gun, and after a game struggle killed. It measured 6ft. from the nose to the tip of the tail, 3ft, in girth, and, 2ft. 9in. high, and although the teeth were quite competent to do any amount of damage amongst Messrs. McKenzie's and Hewitt's flocks, their worn appearance testified to its great, age.  The head and paws were taken to Fingal to claim the Government reward".
The Mercury, 15th November 1889 (p. 3).

    "A large tiger's head was presented at the police station to-day for the usual reward.  It was captured at Hampshire Hills by a trapper named Harry Williams".
Examiner, 14th December 1900 (p. 7).

Clem Penny - 1924
Two men display their macabre "trophy".  This young thylacine was killed by Mr. Clem Penny (at right) at Penny's Flats near the Arthur River in 1924, allegedly after it was hit on the head with a piece of wood.  The skin of this thylacine can be seen in a circa 1925 photograph of the Penny family.  Thylacines were starting to become very scarce by this time, and any hunter who managed to kill one in those days was especially proud.  Well into the 20th century, thylacines were still regarded as pests, and gained no admiration from the general public until many years later, after the last captives died in zoos.  Image source: Weekly Courier, 17th January 1924.  Courtesy: Moeller Archives.

    "LONGFORD - The skin of a large native tiger was to-day on exhibition here.  The animal had been caught and killed at a place known as the "Den," and the skin was brought to the council's clerk's office in order that the trapper might receive the £1 which is given by the Government for the destruction of each of these voracious creatures.  The skin was beautifully marked, and evidently belonged to a large strong animal, and could be readily understood that sheep-owners in the vicinity where it was taken would be glad its career had ended".
Examiner, 7th September 1907 (p. 8).

    "The heads of three young native tigers were sent to the police station this morning by George Nicholls, shepherd to Mr. Alfred Archer, of Palmerston, Creesy.  They were duly inspected by the Warden, and the necessary certificate forwarded to Hobart, in order that the Government reward of 10s each may be forthcoming".
Examiner, 23rd October 1888 (p. 3).

back to: Persecution (page 6) return to the section's introduction forward to: Persecution (page 8)

Search the Thylacine Museum
Site Map
Website copyright © C. Campbell's NATURAL WORLDS.
Photographs and other illustrations (where indicated) are © C. Campbell's NATURAL WORLDS.
Other photos and images are © their respective owners.